Martin has been actively working in the management of Learning and Development for over 20 years. He has worked in three diverse industries enabling him to gather a great deal of professional expertise. It has also given him a unique insight into the development needs of individuals, teams, organisations and businesses.
‘ But that is quite different from where he started his working life…… ‘
Martin started work as an apprentice for British Gas an international utility company. He learnt about providing ‘front line’ customer service, along with all of the skills and knowledge required for a complex role. Whilst there he quickly realised a passion for learning which he had not previously recognised. Having completed a 3 year Apprenticeship he continued his education with various Further Education courses whilst working in the very front line of customer service as a Service Engineer. Martin then took the opportunity of a secondment as a Training Officer (initially, then subsequently made permanent) into the Learning and Development team. Here he worked with the very people who had trained and inspired him to learn some fantastic skills and knowledge. He worked on a national apprenticeship programme and was responsible for the provision of technical training to both Apprentices and bespoke courses to qualified Service Engineers and Supervisors.
Martin then moved into the Management Development Team and worked on a project to roll-out Open and Distance Learning. This was a major new direction and covered the whole of the South Eastern Region, with eventual responsibility for the management of 18 learning centres in various offices and locations.
Martin then took an opportunity to move into a very different industry – Automotive. He was offered the position of Training Manager for Daewoo Motor Company. Daewoo were a Korean Car Manufacturer who were establishing a European Technical Design Centre in the UK. Martin was responsible for the design and management of a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme working in conjunction with partners from across the UK to provide specialist training for apprentice automotive engineers. He also designed and managed a bespoke IMechE accredited Graduate and Under Graduate training scheme as well as undertaking a project to implementing a bespoke Personal Development Review process, a Leadership Development programme and various behavioural skills programmes to the centre. During his tenure here Martin was part of a team that managed and undertook a large scale and complex redundancy programme from initial planning through to execution without any claims arising.
Martin then moved into his third industry so far, Health and Hygiene, working for Kimberly-Clark a U.S. based Global Company. K-C employed around 55,000 people worldwide, with annual sales of $18.3billion and superbrands including Kleenex, Huggies, and Andrex. His initial role here was to help set-up and establish a new European Shared Service Centre. This meant bringing several functions from across Europe into one operation and location. What follows are some examples of the many projects and achievements that Martin was responsible for;
- Implemented and managed a large induction programme (over 2½ year period) to ensure that each new starter was not only equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out their role but that they also understood the business aims and objectives and the culture that was being created at the centre.
- Part of a senior management team for a major project to outsource the transactional parts of Finance Shared Services to a third party provider.
- Part of a Global Project Team to deliver and support the roll-out of an award winning Global Performance Management process in the UK, Europe and South Africa.
- Part of a senior project team advising on a North Atlantic Finance project delivering career development tools and resources for Team Leaders and Team Members to utilise including online resources.
- Developed a learning strategy consisting of a suite of innovative learning programmes incorporating a bespoke Leadership Development programme, Inspirational Leadership, Change Management, Communication Skills, Customer Service and Train the Trainer programmes.
- Provided a professional and confidential 1-2-1 coaching service to business leaders throughout Europe
- Designed and facilitated meetings and conferences, including team development sessions, team conferences such as a trans-Atlantic one uniting two parts of a team for the first time.
Martin has now embarked on what he sees as the most exciting phase of his career to date, that of setting up his own company Martin Smith Learning and Development Ltd. The company, established in April 2009 is focused on providing leading edge Training and Development Consultancy and Executive Coaching services. They utilise the latest research and developments in Neuroscience, combined with practical tools and techniques to help their clients achieve their goals and to have some fun along the way. Some of their achievements so far include;
- Designed and delivered bespoke Team Building workshops to Supply Chain clients to meet specified needs e.g. Effective Communication Techniques and Project Planning.
- Developed a new approach to supporting new Team Leaders; The First Ninety Days A tailored coaching and support package to help team leaders quickly establish trust and credibility with their team and ensure that they are both engaged and working towards clear objectives and goals.
- Providing a confidential 1-2-1 Executive Coaching service to senior executives and business leaders.
- Project managed the design and implementation of a bespoke Learning Management System for an international materials handling company and launched E-Learning packages to the company in the UK, South Africa, Holland and Belgium.
- Designed and ran Appraisal training for all senior staff at a large manufacturing facility.
- Designing and Facilitating Meetings and events creating an opportunity for a trans-Atlantic team to draft solutions to issues identified in a staff survey and present to senior leaders.
Martin is a full member of the Institute for Leadership & Management. A full member of the Association for Coaching an independent non-profit organisation with the goal to promote best practice, raise awareness and standards across the Coaching industry. Martin is accredited to use Extended DISC, Strengthscope and PRISM Brain Mapping tools.
‘ To find out how we can specifically help you, your team or your business to grow, please contact us to dicuss your needs.