If so, below you will find some top tips for leading meetings effectively to ensure that you are getting the maximum value from everyone that is present. After all, meetings are an expensive use of everyone’s time, so make them effective, make them work for you and your team.
Before you start
- Prepare an agenda and send it out in good time
- Plan the room
- Always use a flip chart!
- Decide who will take action notes
- Appoint a ‘gatekeeper’
- Create an ‘Issues’ log
- Insist mobile devices placed on ‘silent’
- Schedule regular breaks
- Establish simple ‘ground rules’
When you meet
- Let people talk to each other – not just you!
- Encourage ‘two way traffic’ – so everyone contributes
- Always be courteous.
- Bring in quiet people
- Hold back high contributors!
Lead discussions effectively
- Don’t allow interruptions
- Paraphrase what people say
- Test your understanding
- Summarize frequently
- Watch people’s body language!
By following the simple guidelines above you’ll be able to run really effective meetings that your team will look forward to attending rather than dread.
Meeting Skills is one of several skills development training courses that we’re able to run for your business. Why not give us a call for a no obligations discussion on 07702 110676
Martin Smith Learning and Development Ltd is a specialist consultancy working with leaders at all levels to improve their relationships with the people that they interact with both internally and externally to the company. We work with organisations, teams and individuals to identify how they can get the best from their people. We have experience spanning diverse industries and encompassing sectors such as engineering, design, customer service, finance, supply chain, sales and procurement.
To discuss how Martin Smith Learning and Development Ltd can help you and your business please contact us;